Thursday, March 15, 2012

Where Is The Outrage?

Are you as shocked as I, or have you wrapped yourself up in the blankets of apathy that the religious right, and politicians who'll do anything to get their votes, have handed out?

I have friends and family that are still unsure about re-electing Obama, and some that are very much considering a republican. Folks, I understand your not happy, I get it. I am in no way thrilled with this administration, I share with you the disillusion and disappointment.

A good friend saw in greater detail what most of us did not, I heard her, but I insisted I felt Obama was going to follow through on his many promises. She recognized him better than I, she saw clearly what I didn't. That isn't to say she wasn't going to vote for him, her disappointment was that she'd have to pick the least of all evils, again.

It's really hard to speak for her, as she is no longer with us. I wonder at the bittersweet nature of the last presidential election for her, I know she was a big John Edwards fan, and we all know where that went. I think she knew that this was the last great political game that she'd ever bear witness to, and even all the while Obama was talking about revolutionizing health care, she saw through the veneer and realized that the outcome would be far less shiny than was promised.

For those of you confused about how the promise of "Healthcare for Everyone" turned into what we have, there's a very well done, FRONTLINE documentary called, "The Obama Deal" I highly recommend it.

This blog isn't meant to pick at the Obama promises not kept or the twisted results were reaping, it's more about the other choices we have, for President of the United States of America.

Anyone who can look at the current contenders, and not see the grime under the veneer their selling, is really working hard at not seeing it. OK come on people! You want one of these nut bags to run the country?! Really?

All right, let's just check with the woman out there. Are you really thrilled with the idea of funding for Planned Parenthood to be completely cut? Are you really that enthusiastic about having religious zealots determine the only proper place in society for you, as barefoot and pregnant? Are you as happy as all the wife beaters and rapists out there, that they're voting against the Violence Against Woman Act?

Good grief ladies, do you really feel the need to have so many of the advances you've made in gender equality backslide? Where in the heck is the outrage, and why in the hell would you be considering any other option other than Obama?!

If your on a date with the best looking guy ever, but he's just told you that his personal opinion of a woman's rights are only slightly elevated from that of solid farm breeding stock, why would pretend not to hear that?

I know my friend would have told the guy to go fuck himself.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joe! Waving back your way. I agree with many of your points.

    I am less than thrilled with Obama. This administration has done some quiet very good things, but overall it fizzled. This is hard because Barack Obama had so much popular support during his campaign. I was in the student center of a community college when he was inaugurated. It was standing room only and the cheer that went up was deafening. Right now, he is getting trounced in the media. Watch the way things are presented, connotations, and the assumptions underlying the news. I actually saw an article today with the headline "Romney's Agenda for His First Term in Office." Incidentally our supposed "liberal" media was calling the economic mess of 2008-09 Obama Economics before he was even elected. I offer this as a comparison.

    Obamacare is not what I would have wanted. I think the big winners were the insurance companies. I do think it is a mincing step forward.

    Obama has done good things in terms of making sure we did not get into any more wars and offered monies to financially beaten states for education. Most of what he has done has been quiet while the Tea Party and the Koch brothers have ransacked the country.

    I am horrified that Lisa Brown, a representative in Michigan, was barred from speaking by a conservative house speaker because she used the word vagina in speaking out against an anti-abortion bill. I am horrified that removing funding from Planned Parenthood is even being contemplated. I am horrified that one judge stood between the only abortion clinic in Mississippi being closed this week. I am horrified that legislation allowing employers to determine if they will cover women's reproductive health is even being considered.

    We need a leader with charisma, conviction, and courage. I am not sure Obama is that person. I am certain Romney is not because he changes his stance too frequently to show true conviction or courage. We need someone who can speak eloquently, confront the myths that persist, and who recognizes that leading the US is serving the citizenry and means caring for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! Someone responded, and all along I thought this post had gone totally unread. :) I haven't done much writing lately, I like you have been dealing with stuff...

    Combine stuff, with my growing disgust for politics, and the media blackout which this country has tale spun into since Clinton went insane and totally gutted broadcasting regulations. With that, we lost the vast majority of the Fourth Estate, and now there's so very little left (media mainstream) to show proof of the lies and crimes our politicians commit every day.

    I'm thrilled to have your comments here, especially on this particular post. I agree with everything you posted about Obama, it seems I'm voting for the least of evils again.

    OK to say Obama is evil is a bit much, but I recognize Romney for what he is, a rich thug, willing to say anything, promise anything and then redact it the next day, all in an effort to gain his hands on the seat of the Presidency.

    That man is the worst sort of humanity thing we could possibly award such power.

    Again, thanks for the reply, hope all is going better for you and yours...type at ya later. :)

    ReplyDelete