Saturday, November 19, 2011

In Love Again...

...with my Nook Color. What did you think?!  - Sheesh!-

OK let me explain...

I'm not married, I have no kids (OK three cats), and except for a vehicle who's maintenance is repeatedly ignored... With just the basic cost of living expenses, I have few things to gobble up my extra cash.

My weakness, gadgets...namely of a computer/tablet nature. I have absolutely no reason to have more than a Desktop, a Cell-phone and maybe an E-Reader. 

Of course, a more accurate audit would include an Acer net-book (almost never used), a now dead 7 year old Dell Laptop (may it rest in pieces), a Nook Color, an Acer a500 Tablet (very nice), and lastly the Apple iPad II, which I had to buy in order to give me a reason to purchase the really cool Belkin Folio Blue Tooth keyboard case... I know, right?!

Trust me, no one knows better than the addict, that they are in fact...addicted. Not me though...I could stop anytime...no really...

I started down this road of debauchery with the best of intentions, I just wanted a taste, but didn't want to commit too much in the way of funds...cuz the car needed to be fixed and...

I was looking to buy an E-Reader.

It would seem that age has provided some fraction of wisdom to my buying habits, so I did some research and came across an article talking about how Barnes & Noble had just released their color E-Reader. I was intrigued, and then more so when I dug a little deeper, finding a whole host of hackers dedicated to exploiting technology for the common man - me. Well, sort of common...I'm a man...and... Oh go blow!

Anyhow, these dedicated gadget guru's had literally dissected the device, in form and code. In doing so, they found that the Nook Color was a fairly powerful Android tablet, shackled in firmware that kept it from being used to it's full potential. On top of this discovery, they'd devised a way to root the device, giving it all the functionality of it's original intent as an E-Reader, but with full access to the entire Android Market.

After watching a few very informative rooting video's, I was out the door and back in 30 minutes with my new treasure. It was easy to root, and due to the device's design, with little risk of bricking (screwing up beyond recovery). I was ecstatic and proclaimed the Nook Colors virtues to any soul that would listen.



I was happy for a while with my new love, but she was moody and prone to uninvited upgrades from B&N, who was desperately trying wrestle her from my control. It was a battle, and one that would prove very frustrating. So..., I did what many people in a loveless relationship would do...I strayed and shacked up with an a500.

You have to understand, she was so beautiful, so affordable, and so powerful. I could not look away from her Honeycomb sweet promises, or her dual core processor and nVidia graphics...I was in LUST, and so I was bad...so very bad.

I had my way with a500 and she with me...but always I would think of my first love...lying there on the bookshelf, neglected, dejected...

I thought I was happy, and really in a carnal sense, I was...but it wasn't until I wandered through my local Target and fell to the seductive charms of the Belkin Folio w/Blue Tooth Keyboard (for iPad's only), did I realize that my happiness was but a simple self imposed delusion.

iPad and I shacked up for a while, as tawdry lovers trying to forget their pain, she the loss of her father (Steve) and I with my addiction denial...until one day..., the ring was found...er...I mean...

Barnes and Noble had the audacity to come out with a new tablet, called the Nook Tablet...

It was like a sexier version of my first love, calling me back to the fold, promising that all was forgiven...if I would just give her one more chance...

"NO!" I shouted, "I cannot do this...or can I? No! I must look away.... But she's got a new Dual Core processor, access to Hulu and Netflix! I cannot...please don't tempt me further..."

I ran to the bookshelf..., "Nook my love...it's me I've come back...if you'll have me."

So we got back together, I tried running her as a stock E-Reader again, the attempt was fleeting and the urge to buy the new Tablet constantly growing like a slow cancer, until...

CyanogenMod-7.1.0-encore



Folks, this is a custom modification of Gingerbread specifically designed for the Nook Color, it's rock solid, it exploits the Nook Colors Blue Tooth capabilities, and provides full access to the Android Market. It's smooth as silk, and except for the fact that you cannot (as of yet) run Hulu (Netflix works great, but not in Hi-Def), it's fraken awesome.

This OS is like the pill that Harcourt Fenton Mudd (Orig Star Trek - Epis. 6) gave average looking females to make them insanely desirable. Only after four days this pill has yet to wear off, and has truly unleashed this little machine.

I took it down to the Barnes & Noble in Santa Rosa yesterday, aside from the improved graphics of the Nook Tablet, with CyanogenMod-7.1.0, my Nook Color put it's younger sibling to shame. I soon had people bombarding me with questions about how they too could do the same to their Nook Color... Management began to move in my direction, so I made my way out the door with a sly smile. Oh yeah, I'm in love again.

P.S. - For those of you who've bought the Nook Tablet, fear not, Cyanogen will undoubtedly be modded for you too. Imagine what it might do with your hardware....

No comments:

Post a Comment