Thursday, August 25, 2011

"The Help" ...needs none.


Yes, just when I was about to scream in frustration over the complete lack of anything worthy of celluloid, someone answered my cry with an absolute gem.

Folks this is a movie you should take your children to see, ages eight and up. I know eight sounds a bit young, but in this day and age, exposure to bigotry is going to be Sesame Street tame compared to the Grand Theft Auto game they've been playing at the next door neighbors house.

This will be educational for them, (nothing violent) and very entertaining for you. Your toughest job will be to field their questions after the movie. If they don't ask any, then you should...ask them what they thought, ask them how they felt about what those women were going through. For cripes sake, don't waste a perfectly good opportunity to help your kids understand what is and what is not acceptable human behavior.

Enough preaching, on to the the movie...

It was fantastic, I felt it really captured a taste of what was happening in this country in that era, and in particular that portion of the South. Of course the casting was absolutely stellar, that for me was enough of a selling point. While I would be perfectly comfortable drolling on and on about how great Emma Stone's performance was (it was), I think that it's high time we give some attention to the less favored cast members.

No I'm not talking about Octavia Spencer, Viola Davis, or any of the other fine ladies who portrayed the movies title, I'm talking about those who played the roles of the worst kind of humanity life had to offer back in that time. In particular, I would like to congratulate Bryce Dallas Howard for her superlatively played role, she was easily and believably the most despicable character one could hope for in such a film.

No comments:

Post a Comment