Monday, June 20, 2011

Scary Parrallels in Disaster Capitalism

I've recently finished one of the scariest books ever written.

As I turned it's pages, the sedimentary layers of fiction that had been used to obfuscate reality, dissolved. It was as if all the lies that have been laid upon me, indeed upon all of us, were gradually but methodically lifted, revealing what they were clearly meant to hide.

I know this author has an agenda, and like anyone trying to sell a new version of history, those most effective at doing so, are the ones who can provide the facts, the means and the resources used to do so. This methodology invites anyone to prove them wrong, or at the very least check their work. For me, it engendered an immediately measure of trust.

I will confess that I have a belief system which lends me greater appeal for her presentation, certainly more so than it would someone of a conservative right persuasion. I have for a while described my politics as being a hybrid blend of conservative liberalism. I recognize the need for balance in all things, and believe that it's necessary for all aspects of life to survive in harmony, be they diet, religious beliefs, or political ideology. You cannot have extremes in anything, without paying a heavy toll.

One last reveal, I have a core belief, and one that those of a religious bent might find offensive. I don't mean to offend, I only wish to give a clear picture of who I am and how I think.

You see, I believe that as a species, humanity is the worst thing that has ever populated this globe. I dare anyone to find another living thing with even the most base social skills, that has done more harm to it's own species, and it's own environment. We claim evolutionary victory over all living organisms, and the right to do with them what we wish. In doing so we have revealed our worst fault, and anyone willing to objectively examine humanities existence could easily prove the level of that arrogance.

Compare any dictionaries definition of the word, and there are many, most will agree with my favorite. The Urban Dictionary, defines arrogance as, "The act or habit of making statements, or actions, based on pride, self-importance, conceit, or the assumption of intellectual superiority and the presumption of knowledge that is not in evidence or supported by any facts or experience." OK, I added the, "...or actions" because that typically goes hand in hand with making statements.

So..., enough of these minor illuminations into the madness of my method. Let me share with you Naomi Klein's, The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism, and the scary parallels I see happening in our country.

This book was a gift given to my years ago by a very dear friend, and since her passing, I have only just recently been compelled to read it. My initial impression after the first 263 pages, "Holy crap this was a good but painfully difficult read."

Folks, I know in our busy lives that many of you do not, cannot, or will not make the time for reading, and that's a damn shame. Too many of us survive day to day off the gruel that the major networks pimp out as "News". The Fourth Estate in this country is dead, gone are the Edward R. Murrow's of broadcast journalism and in their place are corporate puppets who dance to the purse strings of General Electric, Viacom, Disney, News Corp, and Time Warner.

It's time to move on to the Fifth Estate, which thankfully thrives today in the form of published print and the Internet. Thanks to the internet, I was able to imbed the adapted 79 minute documentary that is freely available through a simple Google Search...



I hope you enjoyed the movie, but I have to tell you, the book is far more graphically revealing and well worth the read.

So what are the parallels I see happening here? It is my opinion that his country is currently undergoing and has been subjected to "Chicago School" shock therapy since the economic meltdown of 2008. Politicians in this country are advocating the privatization of any public government function that can be run by private industry for profit.

Folks imagine if you will a world where your local police department is run by a private security company, a world where if you failed to pay an additional fee or you were late with payment, the fire department might only arrive to insure that the homes of your neighbors, those who had paid on time, would not catch on fire. Can you even conceive of a world were libraries and public schools were a thing of the past?

If those visions aren't enough to get you to reflect on what's happening in this country right now, I urge you to take a look at how the Michigan State legislature has voted to provide the governor the power to dissolve any democratically elected local or county government  within the state, and replace it with one of his own choosing.

That's not democracy folks, that's fascism in the extreme and it's actually happening right this very minute, IN OUR COUNTRY!

We cannot allow this to continue, we must work together to stop this cancerous disease before there is nothing even remotely resembling  what the founding fathers of this country intended.

Regards,

Just Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment