Sunday, June 12, 2011

Super 8 - is super awesome!

I haven't seen a movie by myself since  Mary passed away, I've tried but the titles and trailers have been lacking in any promise of substance. I did see "The Kings Speech" with her mom, we loved it and I'm pretty sure that I proclaimed it to be the best movie of 2010.

I guess I haven't really been in the mood, until recent glimpses of "Super 8" started to show up and I knew, or rather hoped the movie matched the quality the trailer hinted at. Well I went to my local theater yesterday and I'm happy to report that it was fantastic.

In the tradition of the movies producer, J.J. Abrams, has paid a true homage to the master who created similar classics that brought the kid out in all of us with, "ET", "Raiders of the Lost Ark", "Jurassic Park", "Goonies" - yeah I said it, "Goonies!"

Folks, this movie reminds you of better days, times when we had steel mills, a sizable middle class, and dare I say it, even some measure of innocence - still.


I loved it, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to forget reality for just a little while and be a kid again.

Just Joe...

2 comments:

  1. We have to admit it Joe. Goose and I saw Super 8 this weekend and thought it rocked. We felt compelled to see it after your shining review.

    We also snagged a copy of the King's Speech...but I think that will be a solo endeavor for me.

    Hopefully the studios will put out something else this summer that entices you to brave screaming kids, stale popcorn and overpriced concessions.

    Eagle Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I'm thrilled my review convinced you to brave the circus that is, "Going to the movies."

    You'll love The Kings Speech, it was really well done. With a cast like that, a script would really have to suck for it to be a bad movie.

    I'll have to admit, I haven't seen much of anything else that really speaks to me in the trailers...Harry Potter will of course be a must. :)

    ReplyDelete